Comparative nutritional analysis. Values per 100g.
Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale) vs. lettuce
* Protein 2.71 g vs 0.84 g (similar to milk (3g), less than the rice (6.5g), less than the 24g of wheat germ)
* fat 0.71 g vs 0.13 g
* Carbohydrate 8.82 g vs 1.2 g
* Calcium 190 mg vs 40 mg (beats all vegetables, plus to the 110mg of milk and less than 300 mg from cheeses)
* Phosphorus 70.11 mg vs 13.89 mg (more than spinach and chard, 39mg and 50mg)
* iron 3.09 mg vs 0.75 mg (similar to spinach and chard with 3.5 mg)
* Thiamine (Vitamin B1) 0.19 mg vs 0.03 mg (only surpassed by fennel, with 0.23mg)
* Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) 0.14 mg vs 0.06 mg (similar to 0.15 of chard and less than 0.20 of the spinach)
* Niacin (Vitamin B 2 compl.) 0.84 mg vs 0.13 mg
*Vitamin C 35.94 mg vs 12.57 mg (less than 100mg of broccoli, equal to the chard and less than spinach(45mg), less than the 55mg from oranges)
* Vitamin A 13662 IU vs 1115 IU (more than all the rest, twice the chard)
Values compared to the lettuce were extracted from: BC Harris. 1995 Eat the Weeds. Keats Puiblishing Inc., New Canaan, Connecticut. * IU = international units.